Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Thabo Mbeki - I Am an African


 

Whilst my disagreement with TM is very public, once upon a time... he raised me. He was a father to many of us, he taught us about being disciplined and dedicated to Africa's renewal. TM was one man who didn't care about being liked, but cared about progress and excellence. As his student, I drank from his well and was nourished deeply. He remains one of the strongest unifying forces that this continent has ever seen. Jama ka Sjadu, Zizi Elihle, eyakho indima uyidlalile and usiqeqeshile kushushu kunzima. Enkosi Jama. 

Where you and I have disagreed, let history be left alone to absolve us both. My sister died from Aids, and I still believe you could have prevented it. But besides that, you were one of the greatest leaders to light a fire under us as a generation, you took the time to realise that we needed mentorship, we need a school. And you took it upon yourself to be our teacher, flawed as you were. I admire you for that Zizi elihle.

My book 'Dangerous Blacks' was greatly inspired by you and your obsession with intellectual enquiry. We can't be basic as leaders, we need to spend time thinking and researching and questioning and evaluating. 

Tata Ndiyabulela.

No comments:

Post a Comment